Monday, August 10, 2009

A Bed Time Story (sort of)


This is the St. Luke corner of the men's sleeping room at Thunder Bay Christian Fellowship. I learned that it was much coveted by the other groups because of the 9' by 12' (estimate) carpet that was already there. The remainder of the near-gymnasium size room was linoleum tile floor. Our guys arrived there first and quickly staked out their sleeping places on the carpet. I was a little slow in getting there, so I placed my sleeping bag on the tile floor next to the carpet where I slept each night. It really wasn't all that bad.
About mid-week I started to prepare mentally for the long return drive home. Naturally I wanted to be as rested and alert as possible for a safe trip home on Friday. I thought it would be nice - if on the last night - I could sleep on that carpet.
Sometime Thursday, at one of our regular group meetings, I asked the guys if they wouldn't mind making a little room for me on the carpet. Sure enough, that evening, they cleared a spot for me - so I moved my sleeping bag there and then went downstairs to brush my teeth.
I returned to a dark sleeping room, since all the lights had already been turned off. So I crawled into my sleeping bag and hoped that I would quickly fall asleep. I was amazed at just how comfortable that carpet felt! I remember thinking "Wow! I should have asked for a spot on the carpet much earlier." I soon fell asleep and had the best night of sleep that I had all week.
It was only when I awoke the next morning and began to roll up my sleeping bag that I noticed 2 foam pads - strategically placed to cushion my sleeping bag. Thanks guys!
- F.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment